David J. Whellan, MD, MHS, FACC, FAHA
Philadelphia, PA 19107
(215) 503-7420 fax
MD, Washington University School of Medicine
Master Health Science in Clinical Research, Duke University
Hospital of University of Pennsylvania (HUP)
Clinical Cardiology, Duke University Medical Center
Thomas Jefferson University Hospital
Expertise & Research Interests
Dr. Whellan is the Principal Investigator of Jefferson Regional Clinical Center for the NIH HF Network, one of 9 centers across the United States selected to participate in a series of novel heart failure clinical trials. In addition, he serves as the Associate Provost for Clinical Research at Thomas Jefferson University and Associate Dean for Clinical Research at Sidney Kimmel Medical College.
He has authored over 175 peer-reviewed articles, reviews, abstracts, and book chapters on cardiomyopathy; and is an associate editor for the Journal of the American College of Cardiology Heart Failure journal.
Most Recent Peer-Reviewed Publications
- Treatment of sleep-disordered breathing in heart failure impacts cardiac remodeling: Insights from the CAT-HF Trial
- Prevalent digoxin use and subsequent risk of death or hospitalization in ambulatory heart failure patients with a reduced ejection fraction—Findings from the Heart Failure: A Controlled Trial Investigating Outcomes of Exercise Training (HF-ACTION) randomized controlled trial
- Improving Heart Failure Therapeutics Development in the United States: The Heart Failure Collaboratory
- The Impact of a Transition of Care Program on Acute Myocardial Infarction Readmission Rates
- Strategies for supporting intervention fidelity in the rehabilitation therapy in older acute heart failure patients (REHAB-HF) trial
- Change Is Not Always Good∗
- Utility of Growth Differentiation Factor-15, A Marker of Oxidative Stress and Inflammation, in Chronic Heart Failure: Insights From the HF-ACTION Study
- Multinational and multiethnic variations in health-related quality of life in patients with chronic heart failure
- Efficacy and safety of spironolactone in acute heart failure: The ATHENA-HF randomized clinical trial
- Effect of natriuretic peptide–guided therapy on hospitalization or cardiovascular mortality in high-risk patients with heart failure and reduced ejection fraction: A randomized clinical trial
- Effect of oral iron repletion on exercise capacity in patients with heart failure with reduced ejection fraction and iron deficiency the IRONOUT HF randomized clinical trial
- A Novel Rehabilitation Intervention for Older Patients With Acute Decompensated Heart Failure: The REHAB-HF Pilot Study
- Exercise Training in Patients With Chronic Heart Failure and Atrial Fibrillation
- Cognitive Outcomes After Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting
- Aerobic exercise training and general health status in ambulatory heart failure patients with a reduced ejection fraction—Findings from the Heart Failure and A Controlled Trial Investigating Outcomes of Exercise Training (HF-ACTION)trial
- Cardiovascular Outcomes With Minute Ventilation–Targeted Adaptive Servo-Ventilation Therapy in Heart Failure: The CAT-HF Trial
- Easy to Predict, Difficult to Prevent
- Rehabilitation Therapy in Older Acute Heart Failure Patients (REHAB-HF) trial: Design and rationale
- Does the Implantable Cardioverter-Defibrillator Benefit Vary With the Estimated Proportional Risk of Sudden Death in Heart Failure Patients?
- Inpatient management of heart failure: Are we shooting at the right target?