Monika Pogorzelska, PhD, MPH
Philadelphia, PA 19107
(215) 503-0376 fax
PhD, Columbia University Mailman School of
Public Health, 2011
MPH, Columbia University Mailman School of
Public Health, 2007
BA, Fordham University, 2005
Research & Clinical Interests
Antibiotic Resistance; Healthcare-Associated Infections, Surveillance; Infection Control and Prevention of Antibiotic Resistant Infections
National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences, Independent Investigator - 2013-2015
The NIH Loan Repayment Program is a competitive award for junior scholars pursuing a career in clinical health research. The award provides up to $35,000 per year toward existing student loans.
Pogorzelska-Maziarz M, Alvarez KJ, Smaldone A, Larson EL. Prevalence of MRSA Colonization in Elderly Residents of Long-Term Care Facilities: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. 2014 Annual Scientific Meeting of the Gerontological Society of America, Washington, D.C, 2014.
Liu H, Furuya Y, Dick A, Herzig TA, Larson EL, Reagan J, Pogorzelska-Maziarz M, Stone PW. Impact of State Reporting Laws on CLABSI Rates in U.S. Adult Intensive Care Units. 2014 Annual AcademyHealth Conference, San Diego, CA, 2014. Podium Presentation.
Pogorzelska-Maziarz M, Herzig CTA, Cohen C. State Regulated Mandatory Reporting of Healthcare Associated Infections and Its Impact on Infection Rates in Acute and Long-term Care Settings. 2014 Annual Meeting of the Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology, Anaheim, CA, 2014. Concurrent Education Session.
Conway LJ, Raveis VH, Pogorzelska-Maziarz M, Uchida M, Stone PW, Larson EL. Tensions Inherent in the Evolving Role of the Infection Preventionist: A Qualitative Descriptive Study. 2013 Annual Meeting of the Association of Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology, Fort Lauderdale, FL, 2013. Recipient of the Blue Ribbon Abstract Award.
Stone PW, Pogorzelska M, Uchida M, Bevin C. Current Challenges and Emerging Evidence in Infection Prevention in Adult and Pediatric Long-Term Care Facilities. 2013 Annual Meeting of the Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology, Fort Lauderdale, FL, 2013. Concurrent Education Session.
Reagan J, Sperber B, Brewer J, Pogorzelska-Maziarz M, Merrill J, Stone PW. Impact of State HAI Reporting Mandates on Public Health: A Qualitative Exploration. 2013 Annual Meeting on Public Health Law Research, New Orleans, LA, 2013.
Stone PW, Pogorzelska M, Conway L, Uchida M. The IP’s Role in Implementation Science: Examples from the Field. 2012 Annual Meeting of the Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology, San Antonio, TX, 2012. Concurrent Education Session.
Stone PW, Larson E, Pogorzelska M. Impact of State and Federal Policies to Decrease Hospital Associated Infections: A Mixed Methods Longitudinal Study in California Hospitals. 2011 Annual AcademyHealth Research Meeting, Seattle, WA, 2011.
Pogorzelska M, Larson E, Stone PW. Infection Control Practices Related to Methicillin Resistant S. aureus in a National Sample of Acute Care Hospitals. 138th Annual Meeting of the American Public Health Association, Denver, CO, 2010.
Pogorzelska M, Furuya EY, Dick A, Perencevich EN, Goldmann D, Stone PW. Impact of the Ventilator Bundle on Ventilator Associated Pneumonia (VAP) Rates in Intensive Care Units (ICU). 37th Annual Association of Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology Educational Conference and International Meeting, New Orleans, LA, 2010.
Furuya EY, Dick A, Perencevich EN, Pogorzelska M, Goldmann D, Stone PW. Central Line Bundle Implementation and Impact on Infection Rates in US Intensive Care Units (ICU). Fifth Decennial International Conference on Healthcare-Associated Infections, Atlanta, GA, 2010. Recognized as one of the four top scientific papers submitted to the conference.
Pogorzelska M, Larson E, Stone PW. Policies and Practices for Multidrug Resistant Organisms in a National Sample of NHSN Hospitals. 36th Annual Meeting of the Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology, Ft. Lauderdale, Fl, 2009. Recipient of the New Investigator Award and the Blue Ribbon Abstract Award.
Stone PW, Dick A, Pogorzelska M, Horan T, Furuya EY, Larson E. Staffing and Structure of Infection Prevention and Control Programs in a National Sample of NHSN Hospitals. 36th Annual Meeting of the Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology, Ft. Lauderdale, Fl, 2009. Recipient of the Blue Ribbon Abstract Award.
Stone PW, Furuya EY, Dick A, Jordan S, Pogorzelska M. Hospital Epidemiologists and Ventilator Bundle Implementation Associated with Decreased VAP in ICUs. 19th Annual Meeting of the Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America, San Diego, CA, 2009.
Gershon RM, Stone PW, Pogorzelska M. Barriers to Effective Health and Safety Risk Management Programs for the Home Healthcare Setting. 135th Annual Meeting of the American Public Health Association, Washington, DC, 2007.
2013-Present, American College of Epidemiology, Elected Member
2011-Present, Public Health Association of NYC
2010, Society for Epidemiologic Research
2010- Present, International Society for Infectious Diseases
2009-Present, American Public Health Association
2009-Present, Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America
2008-Present, Association of Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology
2004, Sigma Xi, The Scientific Research Society
2004, Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society
Awards & Honors
2011, Travel Award, Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America
2011, Mailman School of Public Health Travel Award for travel to the International Meeting on Emerging Diseases and Surveillance
2009, Young Investigator Award, Association of Professionals in Infection Control & Epidemiology
2009, Blue Ribbon Abstract Award, Association of Professionals in Infection Control & Epidemiology
Most Recent Peer-Reviewed Publications
- Infection Trends in US Nursing Homes, 2006-2013
- Infection prevention outside of the acute care setting: Results from the MegaSurvey of infection preventionists
- Impact of State Reporting Laws on Central Line–Associated Bloodstream Infection Rates in U.S. Adult Intensive Care Units
- Journal club: Commentary on “Inappropriate urinary catheter reinsertion in hospitalized older patients”
- State health department requirements for reporting of antibiotic-resistant infections by providers, United States, 2013 and 2015
- Journal Club: Antibiotic information application offers nurses quick support
- Psychometric Evaluation of an Instrument for Measuring Organizational Climate for Quality: Evidence From a National Sample of Infection Preventionists
- Factors associated with resident influenza vaccination in a national sample of nursing homes
- Reply to Dikon in response to “A response to the relationship between different types of sharps containers and Clostridium difficile infection rates in acute care hospitals”
- Infection surveillance systems in primary health care: A literature review
- Central Line-Associated Bloodstream Infection Reduction and Bundle Compliance in Intensive Care Units: A National Study
- The Use and effectiveness of bundles for prevention of central line-associated bloodstream infections in neonates: A review of the literature
- Infection Prevention and Control Programs in US Nursing Homes: Results of a National Survey
- Relationship between sharps disposal containers and Clostridium difficile infections in acute care hospitals
- Central line-associated blood stream infections in pediatric intensive care units: Longitudinal trends and compliance with bundle strategies
- Confirmation of the validity of the relational coordination survey as a measure of the work environment in a national sample of infection preventionists
- State-Mandated Reporting of Health Care–Associated Infections in the United States: Trends Over Time
- Implementation of antimicrobial stewardship policies in U.S. hospitals: Findings from a national survey
- A decade of investment in infection prevention: A cost-effectiveness analysis
- State law mandates for reporting of healthcare-associated clostridium difficile infections in hospitals