Weekend Workshops in Biotechnology Start June 29
Faculty from the Department of Bioscience Technologies at Thomas Jefferson University's Jefferson School of Health Professions are offering Weekend Workshops in Biotechnology starting June 29 and running through the fall. The workshops are designed for
- Laboratory professionals who are preparing for the ASCP molecular biology certification exam. Learn the latest information from faculty with experience in the field. Complete the Molecular Diagnostics series (sessions 1, 2, 6, 8) as a starting point for ASCP(MB) certification exam preparation. Participants will be invited to a ASCP(MB) certification exam review/information session at TJU.
- High school teachers who want to bring the latest biotechnology skills into the classroom. Complete the Biotech Educators series (sessions 1, 2, 3) and enjoy access to follow-up support programs.
- Individuals considering a Jefferson Bioscience Technologies degree or certificate. Gain a foundation for any program in the department. Get a taste of the material, the facilities and the faculty before starting your program.
About the Program
Weekend Workshops include lectures, demonstrations and hands-on activities focused on the latest biotechnology topics, including:
- DNA structure and replication
- Isolation and analysis of DNA
- Molecular biology of gene cloning and restriction enzymes in recombinant DNA technology
- Polymerase chain reaction (PCR) theory and practice
- Transformation of E. coli and current commercial and biomedical applications of biotechnology
All participants start with a two-day workshop – Introduction to Biotechnology I and II – offered on campus on two Saturdays: June 29 and July 13.
After completing that, choose from a variety of advanced courses in specialized areas, offered throughout the summer:
- Introduction to Biotechnology I
- Introduction to Biotechnology II
- Implementing Biotechnology in the Classroom
- Molecular Diagnostics I
- Molecular Diagnostics II
- Recent Advances in Immunology
- Agricultural Biotechnology
- Protein Science
All workshops are taught by experienced faculty members Esther Biswas-Fiss, MS, PhD ASCP(MB) (Program Director in Biotechnology) and Dawn Curran, CT(ASCP), PBT(ASCP).
Tuition for the two-day introductory workshop is $450. Advanced workshops are $225 each. (Completion of the intro workshops is required before taking advanced workshops.) Tuition includes a binder of all presentation materials (printed in color), protocols, and required reference materials. No additional books are needed.
For more information and to register, contact Dr. Biswas-Fiss at firstname.lastname@example.org or (215) 503-8184.