Office of Postdoctoral Affairs
New to Jefferson/Philly
Need a place to stay for a few days or weeks while you find permanent housing? If you want to be on campus, check out the Martin Residence Hall for short-term housing. Another option is to stay in a hotel. Here are a few hotels that are located close to campus. The list is not complete, and you should check sites such as Expedia.com to compare hotel rates.
For long term accommodations, check out Apartments.com and Rent.com to find an apartment. In addition to housing, International House of Philadelphia offers cultural experiences and some English classes.
No matter where you need to go or how you plan to get there, check the Thomas Jefferson University Commuter Services Office for discounted options.
If you need to commute to Jefferson or are looking to get out of twon, Philadelphia offers multiple transportation options. For a local commute, check out Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA). On their website you'll find information about trains, buses and the subway that connect Thomas Jefferson University with Philadelphia and its suburbs.
- REGIONAL RAIL LINES - Trains travel to many of the Philadelphia suburbs and Philadelphia International Airport, leaving from Jefferson Station at 11th and Market Streets, just a few blocks from campus.
If you commute from New Jersey, check out Port Authority Transit Corporation (PATCO). This high-speed line travels to and from New Jersey. The PATCO station nearest to campus is at 10th and Locust Streets. In addition New Jersey Transit (NJTransit) has information about busses.
If you are looking to visit other cities, check out these transportation options:
- Amtrak—cross-country trains (1-800-USA-RAIL)
- Greyhound—Interstate bus company (1-800-231-2222)
- Trailways—local bus company
- BUS - Schedules are available at the SEPTA website, the office at 1234 Market Street, and from bus drivers. Routes and schedules change often.
- SUBWAY - There are two main subway lines: the north and southbound Broad Street line and the east and westbound Market Street-Frankford line. The Broad Street line station nearest Jefferson is on Broad Street between Walnut and Locust Streets ( http://www.septa.org/service/bsl/). The Market Street-Frankford line can be accessed at 11th and Market Streets (http://www.septa.org/service/mfl/)
- REGIONAL RAIL LINES - Trains travel to many of the Philadelphia suburbs and Philadelphia International Airport, leaving from Jefferson Station at 11th and Market Streets, just a few blocks from campus (http://www.septa.org/service/rail/).
- Taxi services – this is just to name a few companies.
- Yellow Cab (215-922-8400)
- United Cab (215-625-2881).
- Recently, two companies, Uber and Lyft, emerged as alternatives to taxi services. These companies offer a ride in a private car with an option to “share the ride” with other commuters to offset your cost.