Javad Parvizi, MD, FRCS
Philadelphia, PA 19107
University of Sheffield, United Kingdom - 1991
Mayo Medical Center, Rochester MN
Mayo Medical Center, Rochester MN University of Berne, Switzerland
Thomas Jefferson University Hospital
Expertise and Research Interests
Dr. Parvizi is a board certified orthopaedic surgeon specializing in pelvis, hip, and knee reconstruction with a special interest in hip pain in young adults and joint preservation procedures. He is the director of Clinical Research at the Rothman Institute.
Dr. Parvizi completed his medical training in the United Kingdom graduating from University of Sheffield in 1991. He completed his surgical training at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN and fellowship training with Professor Reinhold Ganz in Iselspital, Switzerland. His training also includes a master''s degree from the Mayo Foundation in Molecular Biology that involved evaluating bone healing and cartilage repair.
Dr. Parvizi brings a new and unique expertise for treatment of hip pain in young adults, which includes Ganz''s Periacetabular Osteotomy and other non-replacement surgeries for the hip.
He is a member of various societies including the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons and the Orthopaedic Research Society. He is actively involved in basic science research particularly related to Smart Self-Protective Implants that resist infection.
Most Recent Peer-Reviewed Publications
- Serum D-Dimer Test Is Promising for the Diagnosis of Periprosthetic Joint Infection and Timing of Reimplantation
- Reactive scoliosis: a challenging phenomenon in adolescent patients with hip arthritis
- Interpretation of Leukocyte Esterase for the Detection of Periprosthetic Joint Infection Based on Serologic Markers
- Diagnosing Periprosthetic Joint Infection: And the Winner Is?
- Optimizing Mechanical Alignment With Modular Stems in Revision TKA
- Povidone-Iodine–Based Solutions for Decolonization of Nasal Staphylococcus aureus: A Randomized, Prospective, Placebo-Controlled Study
- Utility of Synovial White Blood Cell Count and Differential Before Reimplantation Surgery
- Effect of Stem Size and Fixation Method on Mechanical Failure After Revision Total Knee Arthroplasty
- Perioperative Complications in Patients With Sleep Apnea Undergoing Total Joint Arthroplasty
- Determining the Threshold for HbA1c as a Predictor for Adverse Outcomes After Total Joint Arthroplasty: A Multicenter, Retrospective Study
- Response to Letter to the Editor on “Periprosthetic Joint Infections Caused by Enterococci Have Poor Outcomes”
- Centers for disease control and prevention guideline for the prevention of surgical site infection, 2017
- Periprosthetic Joint Infection: The Current Hot Topic
- Prevention of Periprosthetic Joint Infection: Examining the Recent Guidelines
- In search of the optimal wound dressing material following total hip and knee arthroplasty: a systematic review and meta-analysis
- Utilization of Total Joint Arthroplasty in Physician-Owned Specialty Hospitals vs Acute Care Facilities
- Vancomycin Prophylaxis for Total Joint Arthroplasty: Incorrectly Dosed and Has a Higher Rate of Periprosthetic Infection Than Cefazolin
- Surgical Case Order Has an Effect on the Risk of Subsequent Periprosthetic Joint Infection
- Trochantoplasty for Total Hip Arthroplasty in Patients With Coxa Vara Deformity
- An assessment of the safety of an orthopedic specialty hospital: A 5-year experience